As a fellowship trained Hip Arthroscopy surgeon, it is always a pleasure to see any patient who is struggling with conservative active therapy. I regularly see patients suffering from typical pain from labral tears, CAM and pincer impingement and have successfully returned them to their targeted athletic / sporting goals. My aim is to preserve the hip or knee joint where possible. I have developed a multidisciplinary super team protocol for regenerative adult stem cell therapy using the patients own bone marrow cells augmented with collagen scaffolds to preserve their joints, even in the face of focal wear and tear. Areas of expertise also extend to delivering pain relief from trochanteric bursitis, hip & buttock pain & ITB syndrome and lower leg pain as these conditions often occur in conjunction with active patients and people suffering from arthritis. In patients with arthritis, I provide an exceptional hip and knee replacement service with an enhanced rehabilitation regime and have a cohort of very happy customers.
- R Chana, A Sobti, D Michael, C Busch. 6 to 10 year outcomes for Oxinium on Verliast Anthology/R3 Total Hip Replacement. Hip Int 2018.
- E Yeung, R Chana, P Thorton-Bott, WL Walter, B Zicat, WK Walter. Mid term results of 3rd generation alumina on alumina ceramic bearings in cementless THA. A 10 year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jan 18;94(2):138-44.
- R Chana, C Esposito, P Campbell, WK Walter, WL Walter. Mixing and matching causing taper wear: Corrosion as a cause for pseudotumour. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Feb;94(2):281-6.
- R Chana, K Alva, P McMillan, G Slater. Early diagnosis of delayed vascular injury associated with revision hip arthroplasty. Hip International, 16(2): 89 – 92, March 2006
- P Thorton-Bott, R Chana, WL Walter, WK Walter. Vastus Aponeurosis Flap Augmentation (VAFA) for posterior tissue defects following dislocation in revision THA. Hip International, ‘Submitted’, June 2013
- R Chana, M Facek, WL Walter, B Zicat, WK Walter. Ceramic-on ceramic bearings in young patients: Outcomes and activity levels at minimum 10 year follow-up Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B, 1603-9
- R Chana, S Tilley, WL Walter, B Zicat, WK Walter. The ABG 2 Ceramic on ceramic bearings in cementless THA in the under 55 year age group. A 10 year follow-up. In progress
FOOT & ANKLE
- A Skyrme, R Chana, G Selmon, A Butler-Manuel. Osteochondroma of the distal tibia leading to deformity and stress fracture of the fibula. Foot and Ankle Surgery, Volume 9, Issue 2, 2003, Pages 129-130
- R Chana, MR Edwards, C Jack, R Mansouri, R Singh, F Khan. The Metaphyseal-Diaphyseal Score index: A novel method of preventing intra-operative periprosthetic fracture in modern uncemented hemiarthroplasty. Journal Ortho Surg & Research, 6:59,18 Nov 2011
- R Chana, A Noorani, N Ashwood, U Chatterji, J Healy, P Baird. The role of MRI in the diagnosis of proximal femoral fractures in the elderly. Injury, Int J. Care Injured 2006, 37, 185-89
- R Chana, J Abrokwah, M Siddiqui, P Burns, A Mahomed. Aortic pseudo-aneurysm posing as a true aneurysm. EJVES Extra, Volume 1, Issue 4, April 2001, Pages 63-64
- R Chana, L Salmon, A Kok, L Pinczewski. Warfarin management oin patients on continuous anticoagulation therapy undergoing TKA. JBJS Br 93-B,11, p1497-1502, Nov 2011
- C Hui, R Chana, L Salmon, A Kok, L Pinczewski. Long term survival of High Tibial Osteotomy for medial compartment OA of the knee. Am J Sports Med January 2011 vol. 39 no. 1 64-70
- R Chana, Shenava Y, Skinner PW, Gibb PA. 5 to 8 Year Results of the Uncemented Duracon Total Knee Arthroplasty System. Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol 23 (5), 677-682, August 2008
- A Malhas, R Chana, F Khan. A Case Report: S. Marscescens infective arthritis following knee arthroscopy. Int. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2007. Volume 7 Number 2
- K Bali, MS Dhillon, R Chana, S Prabhakar Steroid induced stress fracture of medial tibial condyle: A case report. Journal of Knee Surgery, E-first June 2011 DOI: 10.1055/s-0031-1280973
- K Bali, MS Dhillon, RK Vasistha, N Kakkar, R Chana, S Prabhakar Efficacy of immunohistological methods in detecting functionally viable mechanoreceptors in the remnant stumps of injured ACL and its clinical importance. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc. 2012 Jan;20(1):75-80.
2010: University of Brighton; MSc Tr & Orth
2009: RCS Edinburgh; FRCS Tr & Orth
2002: RCS Edinburgh; MRCS
1999: Royal Free Hospital School; M.B. B.S. of Medicine
1995: King College London; BSc Anatomy
2012: RCS England; ATLS Instructor
2013: Cardiff University; PG Certificate Med Education
2018: University South Wales; PG Certificate; Sports & Exercise Medicine
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty
- Revision Surgery
- Adult Hip Joint Preservation
HONORS AND AWARDS
2018: National Award for Excellence in Patient Care; www.iwantgreatcare.org
September 2011: 1st Prize Podium Presentation; 10th Annual Professor Fred Heatley Awards Warfarin management of patients on continuous anticoagulation therapy undergoing TKA
October 2009: 1st Prize Trust Audit Competition; Maidstone NHS Trust An audit of hip fracture management: The impact of a proforma pathway.
January 2007: 1st Prize Poster; 6th Annual Professor Fred Heatley Awards Outcomes of the JRI LOL Hemiarthroplasty system: The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich experience.
January 2005: 1st Prize Poster 5th Annual Professor Fred Heatley Awards The role of MRI in the diagnosis and treatment in neck of femur fractures in the elderly.